THREE WAYS FOR BEACHY WAVES
Even if you don’t have any plans to head to the coast this summer, undone, messy-on-purpose waves is a perfect warm weather style (and a perfectly easy one too!). We asked 3 of our talented Designers to give us the scoop on how to score those summer waves, 3 different ways!
Products to use: Bb. Curl Shampoo and Conditioner, Bb. Hairdressers oil, Bb. Don’t Blow It, Bb. Surf Spray Infusion
1. Add texture before you even step out of the shower with Curl Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Frizz is the #1 enemy of air-dried hair. To combat the flyaways, it’s all about moisture! Apply Hairdressers Oil to damp hair from root to tip.
3. Next, apply Don’t Blow It, concentrating on the mid-shaft, twisting strands into “ropes” as you go. Twisting hair this way helps prevent flyaways.
4. Twist hair into mini buns all around your head, alternating the direction you twist the hair for natural looking waves. Secure with bobby pins.
5. Let dry almost completely while in the buns; after you take them out, flip your head upside down and lightly tousle your hair to shake out the waves. (If you’re in a time crunch, skip the buns and just leave the ropes hanging; your hair will dry faster as its exposed to more air)
6. Finish by spritzing Surf Spray Infusion, gently scrunching your hair to work in the product.
***Pro tip: Don’t rough up hair by drying it with a towel – the friction creates frizz! Instead, squeeze out excess moisture with a paper towel or cotton t-shirt***
ROUGH DRY WITH DIFFUSER
Products to use: Bb. Surf Shampoo and Conditioner, Bb. Prep, Bb. Surf Foam Spray, Bb. Creme Contour, Bb. Thickening Dryspun Finish
1. Shampoo and condition with Surf in the shower.
2. Next, apply Prep to damp hair and work through roots to tip.
3. Follow up with Surf Foam Spray, concentrating on the mid-shaft. A little goes a long way so don’t over do it! Scrunch the product into your hair to really work it in.
4. Begin blow drying your hair with a diffuser attachment, using your fingers (instead of a brush!), twisting and scrunching as you go.
5. Once your hair is dry, push and squeeze a small amount of Crème Contour to separate your waves.
6. Finish with Thickening Dryspun Finish to set your style and create an airy hold.
***Pro tip: Make sure your hair is completely dry before applying the crème contour or your hair will get frizzy and flat***
Products to use: Aveda Smooth Infusion Shampoo and Conditioner, Aveda Brilliant UV + Heat Protectant Damage Control, Aveda Confixor, Aveda Texturing Crème and Control Force
1. To help fight frizz, shampoo and condition with Aveda Smooth Infusion.
2. Apply Aveda Brilliant UV + Heat Protectant Damage Control to damp hair before styling.
3. Follow up with Aveda Confixor to bring out your natural texture and create memory hold.
4. Blow dry as usual.
5. Section top half of your hair (from the ears up!) and clip.
6. Then, using a 1” barrel without the clamp, wrap vertical sections of hair around the barrel. Alternate the direction you wrap the hair and be sure to leave the ends unwrapped for a natural look.
7. Finish with Aveda Light Elements Texturizing Crème to break up your waves naturally and Control Force for hold.
***Pro Tip: Don’t waste time with your underneath sections! All the action is happening in the mid-shaft; don’t perfect the ends***
If you try out any of these techniques, be sure to tag us @mangorva on Instagram with a selfie so we can see your gorgeous hair!
(Hair photos via Bumble and Bumble)